MLA format paper is easy if you know all the intricacies of this citation style. And you will learn all the specifics if you take only a few minutes and read the post below.
Well, what is MLA format all about? In the first place, it’s about proper layout:
- Margins – 1 inch (2.54 cm) on all sides;
- Font – 12 Arial/ Times New Roman;
- Spacing – double;
- 5 paragraphs = Introduction + Main body (at least 3 paragraphs) + Conclusion;
- Page numbers – in the upper right corner preceded by your last name without any punctuation between them: Smith 5.
2️⃣ Title Page
Most people judge too quickly. Your tutors are not an exception—they always make their first impression of your essay by its title page. That’s why you just can’t ignore the format of your MLA cover page (to be more precise, of the first page of your project):
|6 September 2013|
|The Relationship Between an Optimistic Outlook and Body Mass Index in Overweight Individuals|
|Enter the text of your MLA format paper here………………………………………..|
3️⃣ In-Text Citations
Actually, you can use different formats for your MLA citations. It’s up to you to choose which one of them suits you best:
- Direct quote. Include the text of your quote in quotation marks and add the authors’ last names and the page number: “The ability to engage in critical thinking and active reflection about one’s practice is a key habit of mind of effective teachers.” (O’Donnell, Reeve & Smith 47)
- Paraphrased quote with a page number. O’Donnell, Reeve, and Smith concluded that active self-reflection is critical for teachers’ effectiveness (47). Or: Active self-reflection is critical for teachers’ effectiveness. (O’Donnell, Reeve & Smith 47)
4️⃣ Works Cited
And sure, MLA formatting is impossible without the last but not least stroke in your paper—the works cited page (that’s how the bibliography page in MLA is called).
Here are MLA format citations for the major types of sources:
|Book||O’Donell, Angela, Reeve, Johnmarshall, & Smith, Jeffrey. Educational Psychology: Reflection for Action. New York: Wiley and Son, 2012. Print.|
|Article in a periodical||Leung, Doris & Kember, David. “The Relationship Between Approaches To Learning And Reflection Upon Practice.” Educational Psychology 23.1 (2003): 61-71. Print.|
|Website||“Teaching Resources”. Association for Psychological Science, n.d. Web. 6 Sep. 2013.|
|Movie||Django Unchained. Dir. Quentin Tarantino. Perf. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio. Columbia Pictures, 2012. Film.|
That was all you need to know to write a stellar MLA format paper. Good luck with your writing and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter not to miss new awesome updates!