A cause and effect relationship means that one thing causes another one (or that one thing is the effect of another one).
Some cause and effect examples: fast food affects waistline. Or, a breakup is the result of poor communication. And a really simple one—walking in the rain makes your clothes wet.
At the same time, detecting cause and effect relationships is not that easy when it comes to the choice of a good cause and effect essay topic.
That’s why the following list of good topics will save you plenty of time:
- Video games can boost IQ.
- Optimism improves immunity.
- Using social media improves communication skills.
- The promotion of bicycle use helps reduce traffic jams.
- Cell phone use can improve family relations.
- Social media can help teens with their socialization process.
- Living together before getting married makes married relationships better.
- A happy marriage makes a person’s life longer.
- Going to college helps people make better choices and have happier marriages.
- Developed communication skills help families have close relationships.
- Long-distance dating causes distrust in relationships.
- The feminist movement makes women afraid of commitment.
- Parents’ attitudes cause sibling rivalry.
- An inferiority complex makes some women repeatedly get into destructive relationships.
- Homelessness is caused by low morale.
- A lack of education results in discrimination and racism.
- The boom of fast food causes a growth in obesity rates in the US.
- The fear of possible side effects makes people avoid vaccinations.
- Insufficient physical activity increases the risk of heart attack.
- The promotion of healthy living reduces the sales of unhealthy snacks.
- Mental pollution leads to the degeneration of society.
- Water vapor causes the natural greenhouse effect.
- The global temperature increase leads to a growing malaria and cholera prevalence.
- The uncontrolled spread of pests may lead to food shortages.
- The sea temperature increase leads to the extinction of some fish species.
- The glaciers melting in Antarctica cause floods.
- The reduction of areas suitable for human habitation increase the population density in some places.
- More accurate weather forecasting could save more people from natural disasters.
- Coal-fired power stations cause the greenhouse effect.
- Shifting flora and fauna to different spaces can lead to the extinction of some species.
- Emotional problems cause poor immunity.
- Overconsuming junk food influences a person’s energy levels.
- Emotional eating results in poor digestion.
- Anorexia and bulimia are caused by a lack of moral support.
- Even positive life changes, such as marriage, can cause stress.
- Ozone in the air aggravates lung diseases, such as asthma and chronic bronchitis.
- High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attack.
- The media create unrealistic beauty standards that cause eating disorders in adolescents.
- Obesity can lead to joint problems.
- Kid-focused marketing of fast food increases the risk of obesity.
- Affordability of housing affects the well-being of young families.
- Troubled family relationships cause poor sleep.
- Employment of both spouses brings them financial and psychosocial rewards.
- Lack of communication can end a friendship.
- Parents’ divorce makes children more likely to divorce in their own marriages.
- Financial issues are among the top reasons for breakups.
- Not “speaking the same language” in terms of logic causes misunderstanding.
- Misunderstandings between parents and kids are caused by a lack of communication.
- Parents’ role models influence kids’ behavior.
- Students’ lecture attendance affects their professor’s attitude.
- The mass media causes bias in its audiences.
- Native language affects the way people learn foreign languages.
- Learning Chinese improves memory and cognitive ability.
- Copying somebody’s homework results in a lack of confidence.
- The choice of college influences an individual’s skills and traits.
- Reality shows affect the behaviors of their audiences.
- Skinny models are to blame for major bulimia and anorexia incidences.
- Advertising influences brand image.
- Throw-away culture causes the growth of solid waste.
- The one-child-per-family policy in China influences family relations.
- Cramming has no effect on test scores.
- Music downloading hurts the artists’ creativity.
- A good movie can influence an individual’s way of thinking.
- Insomnia influences a person’s cognitive ability.
- Overusing Facebook and other social media can make students unhappy.
- Mood swings can be caused by hormonal changes.
- Reading fiction helps develop empathy.
- A sense of humor improves personal relations.
- An unhealthy diet influences career opportunities.
- The technological boom changed the way people interact.
Still looking for sample cause and effect essay topics? Try these popular ideas:
- Working out helps human bodies generate hormones that are beneficial to one’s health and immune system.
- Children who regularly engage in team activities, especially sports, develop better communication skills and have higher confidence.
- Working out boosts memory, productivity, and brainpower.
- Children who play sports have stronger peer relationships.
- Exercising regularly helps reduce stress.
- Smoking causes about 90% of all lung and breast cancer incidents.
- Smoking damages blood vessels.
- Peer pressure and advertising cause people, particularly teenagers, to smoke.
- Second-hand smoking causes asthma in smokers’ children.
- Smoking during pregnancy causes a wide range of birth defects in newborns.
🎓 Cause and Effect Essay Topics for College Students
- Technology development leads to the gamification of education.
- Study abroad improves a student’s long-term employability prospects.
- Learning a second language helps prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Using a smartphone before bed worsens sleep quality.
- Regular multitasking impairs one’s memory and increases stress levels.
🧒 Fun and Easy Topics for Kids
- Changes in weather prompt people to wear different kind of clothes.
- Having a pet improves a person’s well-being and mood.
- Eating junk food makes children unhealthy.
- Not cleaning your room makes it less cozy and comfortable.
- Doing homework helps children get better grades.
🤝 Social issues
- The difference in socio-economic status of children leads to problems in the future. Think about that they can develop the psychology of the poor.
- Stricter immigration policies cause additional tension in the society. Describe cause and effect of the government’s attitude to immigrants and relationships between different minority groups.
- What may cause and effect situations arise from the change of the political course? Trace them from cause to effect.
- How do businesses aggravate or solve social issues? Different scenarios may be analyzed.
- What is the primary cause of religious oppression that still practiced in some societies? Provide examples from both developed and developing states.
- The popularity of the feminist movement can undermine the family institution. The historical perspective is welcome here.
- What cause and effect subjects appear as a result of changes in tax legislation?Determine cause and effect of each possible scenario.
- Increasing donations to the unemployed may demotivate them. You may dwell upon cause and effect stories from your personal experience.
- Growing up with food insecurity develops criminal inclinations in children. This cause and effect discussion requires statistics.
- Cause and effect of illiteracy. Try to develop not only the theoretical aspect of the problem but also its cause and effect in life.
- Cause and effect of the internet on the promotion of social programs. Population awareness is the principal focus of this topic.
- Cause and effect of depression and stress at work. You may connect this topic with divorce statistics.
- What leads to homelessness and what economic problems does it bring about? Try to be focused on the global effects on the society and economy.
- International adoption may bridge the gap between advanced and developing countries. Analyze the situation from the ethical and economic perspective.
- Watching reports on disasters causes uneasiness in the society and undermines its stability. Develop cause and effect statements on the negative impact of social unrest.
- The increased number of baby-boomers who are approaching their retirement age may create a crisis. You can discuss healthcare and employment issues.
- Provide cause and effect explanation of social changes. Try to apply synergetic terms.
- Find the cause and effect of the popularity of social trends. You may analyze theories and use particular examples.
- What are the critical effects of gender inequality in the United States? Analyze the issue from the employment, social, psychological, and other points of views.
- The society of oversaturation aggravates poverty in other regions. Trace causes and effects of the phenomenon.
- What causes retired or disabled people to look for employment? You may also investigate the consequences of this problem.
- Language barriers may prevent minority groups from finding adequate jobs. Provide cause and effect instances of racial discrimination at work.
🏺 Historical issues
- What were the causes and effects of the WWI? Address all the parties that were engaged.
- Although slavery abolished, it continues to produce effects on the present-day society. Discuss racial prejudice and discrimination.
- The increasing interest in feminism dates back to the events that happened in the 1960s. You may connect them with racial issues (the Chicano movement).
- The WWII veterans experience acquired during the war has dramatically influenced their life. You can touch the problem of the lost generation.
- What is the significant effect of Holocaust on Jews living today? Try to provide both positive and negative cause and effect connections.
- What effects does religion have on the modern society? You may compare different confessions.
- How may the history of a state influence its present-day political and economic status? Provide cause and effect examples to trace the dependence.
- What triggered the Arab Spring and what results did it bring about? The essay may concentrate on political effects.
- What are the critical effects of the British colonialism? You can analyze its consequences for both Britain and other countries.
- The invention of the printing press changed the status of the mass media. Examples must be provided to support your position.
- Globalization influenced the present-day position of women. You may address feminist movements in different countries.
- How did the French revolution affect its success in the political arena? The essay can focus on the 19th or the 20th century (or both).
- Causes and effects of the American Civil War. You can investigate this topic in connection with the present-day impact of slavery.
- Causes and effects of the Colombian drug wars. Touch both economic and social aspects.
- The state of abject poverty in developing countries triggers illegal immigration. You may also address immigration policies in developed countries.
- Excessive immigration to America in the 20th century created plenty of economic problems. Pros and cons of immigration must be compared to make an evidence-based conclusion.
- The appearance of online sales brought businesses to a new level. Discuss multiple case studies.
- The cause and effect relationship between terroristic activity and American drone attacks. You can also explore other American interventions.
- Cause and effect analysis of the increased militancy of North Korea. You may address the present-day conflict with the United States.
📜 Educational problems
- How is the school curriculum affected by the standardized testing? Compare positive and negative aspects.
- Being labeled an indigo kid often ruins students’ life. You may analyze real cases of kids who did not bear the pressure of being gifted.
- Having ADHD, dyslexia or other problems significantly damages the quality of the received education. The essay can propose change policies.
- Why studying is boring? Focus on both internal and external factors of the lack of motivation in students.
- Technologies undermine the quality of learning. You may argue that the use of modern devices makes children less diligent and attentive.
- The use of ebooks and interactive boards in class. Provide the cause and effect analysis. You are to assess what real improvement in the quality of learning achieved through the use of these means.
- Homeschooling negatively impacts future education. Social effects are also to address.
- What benefits do charter schools have? Compare them to regular institutions.
- What effects do bullying programs have? You must analyze their benefits and drawbacks and make suggestions for improvement.
- Single-sex classrooms lead to lower socialization skills. You may view the issue both synchronically and diachronically.
- School uniforms make children less prejudiced. You can approach the topic from the point of socioeconomic inequality.
- Racial integration cannot lead to total elimination of bias. The analysis must cover both children’s and teachers’ perspectives.
- Living on campus develops independence. Highlight positive effects on educational achievements.
- What are the factors that cause teachers’ burnout? Address the problem comprehensively (include student issues, policies, workplace environment, etc.).
- What are the consequences of studying fine arts and philosophy in school? Contemplate why students think that such classes are useless.
- What factors make American students show poor performance on international exams as compared to students from other countries? Provide rationale for your opinion.
- Why do some educational institutions fail to prepare good specialists? You may include the political aspect in your paper.
- Physical education has a positive effect on elementary students. Analyze the processes that make older students less interested in PE.
- Longer school days negatively influence performance. You may also include psychological aspects.
Physical education has a positive effect on elementary students. Analyze the processes that make older students less interested in PE.
Longer school days negatively influence performance. You may also include psychological aspects.
If you would like to help your child understand how causal relationships work, you can find some useful cause and effect worksheets here.
Hopefully, you’ve now discovered some good cause and effect essay topics for your assignment.
Once you’ve chosen your topic, you should create your cause and effect essay outline. To see how this outline translates into an effective essay, check out some useful cause and effect essay examples.
Hopefully, this cause and effect essay topics list will make your cause and effect essay writing quick and easy.