A cause and effect essay might seem an effortless task to do. However, detecting cause and effect relationships is not that easy when one has to choose a good cause and effect essay topic.
Luckily, in this article, you will find 180+ cause and effect essay topics on various subjects. You can use them right away or get some inspiration.
Additionally, here are tips on organizing your essay and a beneficial, easy-to-use scheme to arrange your ideas.
✔️ How to Choose a Good Cause and Effect TopicGet your 100% original paper
on any topic with 15% OFF Learn more
Do you already have a subject to write about? Check out our cause and effect essay ideas below, get inspiration to narrow down your topic.
In case you are free to choose a subject, here are some ways to get started. Remember that the cause and effect essay can be about anything. The major challenge is to thoroughly describe the causal relationships and demonstrate each cause and effect’s role.
Choosing a Topic: Best Tips
- Think of some article you’ve read recently. It can be anything that picked your interest: news, scientific text, discussion of some issue, social media post, etc. What was the main subject there?
- Remember any issue you’ve discussed with someone. Maybe you had a dynamic discussion that you can use for the beginning.
- Scroll through your news feed. There must be something attracting your attention: Economics? Politics? Culture? Just choose the sphere that will be your starting point.
- Research field of your interest. Think of what you are fond of, something not related to your studying. It can also be a good inspiration source.
All these can help to get to the final topic. In the beginning, the critical task is to depict a field of your interest and search it for the cause-effect scenarios. Examples of how to line up the question are below.
📂 Organization of Cause and Effect Essay
Looking ahead, you might see how broad the range of cause and effect essay topics is. Accordingly, there are two fundamental ways to structure them. Get ready beforehand, and the writing process will be much easier.
🔗Focus on Causes
Also known as causal argument topics, such essays require full concentration on what, how, and why something led to some particular outcome. Here are examples of focus-on-causes essays:
- Skinny models are to blame for major bulimia and anorexia incidences.
- What are the factors that cause teachers’ burnout?
- Financial issues are among the top reasons for breakups.
🔗 Focus on Effects
On the opposite, for such an essay, you need to stick to the events’ consequences. The more doesn’t mean the better. More efficient is to choose 2-3 significant outcomes and describe their effect comprehensively. Examples:
- The one-child-per-family policy in China influences family relations.
- A lack of education results in discrimination and racism.
- Living together before getting married makes marital relationships better.
However, some topics might be developed both ways. The crucial thing is to choose one direction. And don’t try to dig deep into both causes and effects at the same time.
📌 Cause-Effect Diagram3 hours! The minimum time our certified writers need
a 100% original paper Learn more
Whatever your topic is, and regardless of its focus, here is a very helpful diagram (aka Ishikawa or fishbone diagram). It will help you to structure the arguments and optimize the process of writing.
If your topic is focus-on-effects, just mirror the diagram so that it shows multiple effects.
Here you can find an online diagram template that is easy to fill and organize your thoughts.
📚 Cause and Effect Topics by DisciplineWe will write a custom essay
specifically for you
writers online Learn more
🤖 Cause & Effect Topics on Technologies
- Unregulated artificial intelligence development can cause huge risks for humanity. The rapid progress of AI not only revealed new opportunities, but also created several reasons to be concerned about. Thus, if it is not controlled thoroughly, the consequences can be horrible.
- Implementing artificial intelligence in working processes can reorganize the whole industry. The same way as the Industrial Revolution in the XVIII-XIX centuries turned the whole civilization upside down; AI will replace some human workforce. Think of other effects.
- A robot becoming the next president in the White House changes the whole governing system. How will it affect the democratic regime? Think of consequences in a specific sphere, for example, social policy or international diplomacy.
- What led to the expansion of space programs and battles for the militarization of space among countries? Refer to the Cold War and the role it played in the development of space research.
- Autonomous cars will reduce the number of traffic accidents.
- How is our personal safety influenced by the increasing technological development in everyday life?
- What are the primary causes of people being skeptical towards implanting microchips?
- Mass In vitro fertilization shapes the birth rates.
🕴️ Cause & Effect Topics on Business
- Why do college dropouts and C students become successful entrepreneurs? Think of famous people in business who dropped out of college. What can be the causes of such a scenario?
- The Covid-19 crisis encouraged many people to support local small businesses. What are the benefits for the small sector and the influence on the broad range of suppliers? Choose a specific industry.
- The growing amount of startups raises the bar of market entry. High competitiveness made it more complicated to develop a new startup and enter a market. Provide the exact obstacles that entrepreneurs can face?
- Online business courses undermine the authority of University programs and Business schools. What can be the impact on the educational system?
- Major causes of businesses become bankrupt nowadays. It would be easy to use Covid-19 economical crisis, but try to think about other reasons.
- What can stimulate employees’ productivity to rise? Here you can consider different incentives: practical (salary, working schedule, additional vacation, etc.) and abstract (regular training, team building, etc.)
- The accessibility of online shopping stimulated higher rates of consumerism.
- Investment in social media advertising results in the attraction of a larger audience.
💰 Cause & Effect Topics on Economics
- The humanitarian crisis causes problems in all spheres of life. Choose one example and provide the actual consequences on social, economic, environmental issues.
- The role of feminism in the gender wage gap. Try not to drown deep in the history of feminism. Use examples of some public feminist movements that actually led to some changes in the wages of women.
- Effects of Covid-19 lockdown on economics. This topic is too broad; narrow it down to a specific industry. For example, how the lockdown affected airlines. It can be a particular airline and its surviving strategy or the industry in general.
- Climate change contributes petroleum to be substituted with alternative energy sources, for example, solar energy. Discuss how the energy sector is influenced by climate change and what kinds of substitutions it brings to global economics.
- What makes people invest in real estate during the world economic crisis?
- What influences the changes in the prices of products in the shops?
- What are the impacts of increasing unemployment?
- Higher salaries for teachers result in better performance of students.
- What are the causes of a financial crisis in a developed country, for example, Sweden or the Netherlands?
- How does the wealthiness of some persons affect the global economic equation?
📱 Cause & Effect Topics on Social Media
- Effects of social networks on education. With free access to the internet, students can easily exchange materials and prepare for exams together. At the same time, their work may lack individuality. Elaborate on this point.
- The development of social media marketing has influenced the ways brands build up their vital activity. Here you can discuss the presence of brands in social media in general. For example, how they communicate with their clients, create a community of fans, participate in collaborations, etc. Choose one brand, go to their social media profile, and use it as an example of the effects.
- Reasons for some trends are becoming global, while others don’t. Explain why some social media trends (Ice bucket challenge) became viral, why it was supported all over the world.
- How does social media affect our perceptions of reality?
- The possibility of having a fake identity on social media increases the level of danger in the online environment.
- Uncontrolled use of social media results in bad consequences for mental health.
- How has real-life communication changed once social media became a major tool of socializing?
- What role does social media play in the intense social division when it comes to significant societal events, like elections?
- What can be the ways social media causes anxiety and depression? For example, a fear of missing out, oversaturation of information, cyberbullying, etc.
🍲 Cause & Effect Topics on Food
- Buying local food products increases sustainability. Local product supply is way shorter than a mainstream food system. Being limited to a regional chain, it saves the workforce, money, and the environment.
- A plant-based diet can have a great impact on climate change. Scientists state that the intense consumption of meat and dairy products contributes to global warming. Research the causal effects of veganism on the climate.
- Microplastic in food damages human health. It’s been said a lot about the rising amount of microplastic in food. But what are the real consequences of microplastic intake for human health? Refer to specific effects on organisms.
- Why do some people prefer to meal prep for the week? Think of why it is more convenient for some people to cook for the whole week in advance.
- COVID-19 isolation stimulated many people to cook at home. How could it affect the catering industry if people prefer to cook dinner at home rather than go out?
- Positive and negative effects of the Japanese diet on human health.
- The cult of healthy eating made many people change their eating habits.
- What facilitates the increasing popularity of the raw food diet in recent years?
🏞️ Cause & Effect Topics on Environment
- Activists like Greta Thunberg play a massive role in the process of environmental protection. Consider the cases when certain persons contributed more than some organizations or movements.
- Implementing ecological policy on the state level results in more active participation of people in a sustainable lifestyle. The best way for this topic would be to take one country as an example and provide the actual results of such policy’s efficiency (let’s say Sweden).
- What can be the causes of massive malaria and cholera increase?
- How do the natural environment and its condition impact human health?
- What may lead to the extinction of some species of fish? For example, increasing sea temperature or water pollution, etc.
- What can be the consequences of glaciers melting in Antarctica?
- How has the explosive population growth been affecting the environment?
- What can be the consequences of inaccurate weather forecasting?
- Deforestation makes many species lose their natural habitat. Discuss other effects of deforestation.
- Cow power utilization can save the planet from global warming. Research the methane collection system for cows and describe the causal effect on the atmosphere.
💉 Cause & Effect Topics on Health
- Mental problems affect the strength of immunity.
- Regular junk food consumption influences the ability of an organism to produce energy.
- What can be the causes of poor digestion? Discuss both primary (bad diet, chronicle diseases) and secondary reasons (mental disorder, etc.)
- What diseases can be caused by a lack of moral support?
- Self-treatment can lead to making your disease worse.
- Which environmental changes can sharpen asthma and chronic bronchitis?
- How does belonging to a particular social class affect the health of a person?
- Regular annual health check-ups positively affect a person’s well-being.
- What are the reasons some people become vaccine-hesitant?
⛷️ Cause & Effect Topics on Sports
- What are the ways for a human body to generate hormones necessary for immunity?
- How does being engaged in sports from a young age affect kids in their further socialization?
- How has feminism influenced the development of sport nowadays?
- Professional athletes gain colossal health problems. Choose an example of some sportsperson that was traumatized for life by doing professional sports.
- The presence of politics in worldwide competitions shapes the course of events.
🚬 Cause & Effect Topics on Smoking
- Increasing prices for cigarettes reduce the number of people smoking.
- Effects of smoking on different organ systems.
- What are the causes of teenagers smoking? For example, peer pressure, image, curiosity, etc.
- Effects of passive smoking.
🤝 Cause & Effect Topics on Relationships
- The financial capabilities of its members significantly shape the overall well-being of a family.
- What are the effects of both spouses having stable jobs? Discuss not only economic benefits but also psychological and social advantages of such a scenario.
- The amount and quality of communication may determine the durability of relationships.
- How does parents’ divorce influence children?
- Which are the major issues leading to breakups nowadays?
- A bicultural couple may face more difficulties in their relationship than a couple with partners from the same culture.
- What are the reasons for parents following particular role models? Is it their defense mechanism or calculated strategy of raising kids?
- How does students’ lecture attendance affect the psychological climate in the class?
🏮 Cause & Effect Topics on Culture
- The mass media causes the misrepresented perception of issues among some people.
- The more languages a person can talk, the more developed their brain is. It is also possible to discuss effects like broad worldview, high communicative skills, etc.
- What are the significant effects of learning Chinese?
- Frequent visits to museums stimulate the development of a sense of beauty.
- The choice of college conditions an individual’s circle of friends and the overall social capital in the future.
- Regular reading increases the cognitive abilities and broadens the conceptual frames of an individual.
- Major bulimia and anorexia incidences in the 1990-2000-s resulted from mass media broadcasting corresponding beauty standards.
- Consumerism culture is the biggest threat to our planet.
- Chinese culture of one-child-per-family affects the ways parents raise their children.
🤝 Cause & Effect Topics on Social issues
- The difference in the socio-economic status of children leads to problems in building their lives in the future.
- Stricter immigration policies cause additional tension in society. Describe the cause and effect of the government’s attitude to immigrants and relationships between different minority groups.
- What may cause and effect situations arisen from the change of the political course? Trace them from cause to effect.
- How do businesses aggravate or solve social issues? Different scenarios may be analyzed.
- What is the primary cause of religious oppression that is still practiced in some societies? Provide examples from both developed and developing states.
- The development of the feminist movement can undermine the family institution. The historical perspective is welcome here.
- What cause and effect subjects appear as a result of changes in tax legislation? Determine the cause and effect of each possible scenario.
- Increasing donations to the unemployed may demotivate them. You may dwell upon cause and effect stories from your personal experience.
- Growing up with food insecurity develops criminal inclinations in children. This cause and effect discussion requires statistics.
- Cause and effect of illiteracy. Try to develop the theoretical aspect of the problem and its cause and effect in life.
- Cause and effect of the internet on the promotion of social programs. Population awareness is the principal focus of this topic.
- Cause and effect of depression and stress at work. You may connect this topic with divorce statistics.
- What leads to homelessness, and what economic problems does it bring about? Try to be focused on the global effects on society and the economy.
- International adoption may bridge the gap between advanced and developing countries. Analyze the situation from an ethical and economic perspective.
- The increased number of baby-boomers who are approaching their retirement age may create a crisis. You can discuss healthcare and employment issues.
- Find the cause and effect of the popularity of social trends. You may analyze theories and use particular examples.
- What are the acute effects of gender inequality in the United States? Analyze the issue from the employment, social, psychological, and other points of view.
- The society of oversaturation aggravates poverty in other regions. Trace causes and effects of the phenomenon.
- What causes retired or disabled people to look for employment? You may also investigate the consequences of this problem.
- Language barriers may prevent minority groups from finding adequate jobs. Provide cause and effect instances of racial discrimination at work.
🏺 Cause & Effect Topics on Historical issues
- What were the causes and effects of WWI? Address all the parties that were engaged.
- Although slavery was abolished, it continues to produce effects on present-day society. Discuss racial prejudice and discrimination.
- The increasing interest in feminism dates back to the events that happened in the 1960s. You may connect them with racial issues (the Chicano movement).
- The WWII veterans’ experience acquired during the war has dramatically influenced their life. You can touch the problem of the lost generation.
- What effects does religion have on modern society? You may compare different confessions.
- How may the history of a state influence its present-day political and economic status? Provide cause and effect examples to trace the dependence.
- What triggered the Arab Spring, and what results did it bring about? The essay may concentrate on political effects.
- What are the critical effects of British colonialism? You can analyze its consequences for both Britain and other countries.
- The invention of the printing press changed the status of the mass media. Examples must be provided to support your position.
- Globalization influenced the present-day position of women. You may address feminist movements in different countries.
- How did the French revolution affect its success in the political arena? The essay can focus on the 19th or the 20th century (or both).
- Causes and effects of the American Civil War. You can investigate this topic in connection with the present-day impact of slavery.
- Causes and effects of the Colombian drug wars. Touch both economic and social aspects.
- The state of abject poverty in developing countries triggers illegal immigration. You may also address immigration policies in developed countries.
- Excessive immigration to America in the 20th century created plenty of economic problems. The pros and cons of immigration must be compared to make an evidence-based conclusion.
- The appearance of online sales brought businesses to a new level. Discuss multiple case studies.
- The cause and effect relationship between terroristic activity and American drone attacks. You can also explore other American interventions.
- Cause and effect analysis of the increased militancy of North Korea. You may address the present-day conflict with the United States.
📜 Cause & Effect Topics on Educational problems
- How is the school curriculum affected by standardized testing? Compare positive and negative aspects.
- Being labeled an indigo kid often ruins students’ life. You may analyze real cases of kids who did not bear the pressure of being gifted.
- Having ADHD, dyslexia, or other problems significantly damages the quality of the received education. The essay can propose change policies.
- Why is studying boring? Focus on both internal and external factors of the lack of motivation in students.
- Technologies undermine the quality of learning. You may argue that the use of modern devices makes children less diligent and attentive.
- The use of ebooks and interactive boards in class. Provide the cause and effect analysis. You are to assess what real improvement in the quality of learning is achieved through the use of these means.
- Homeschooling negatively impacts future education. Social effects are also to address.
- What benefits do charter schools have? Compare them to traditional institutions.
- What effects do anti-bullying programs have? You must analyze their benefits and drawbacks and make suggestions for improvement.
- Single-sex classrooms lead to lower socialization skills. You may view the issue both synchronically and diachronically.
- School uniforms make children less prejudiced. You can approach the topic from the point of socioeconomic inequality.
- Racial integration cannot lead to a total elimination of bias. The analysis must cover both children’s and teachers’ perspectives.
- Living on campus develops independence—highlight positive effects on educational achievements.
- What are the factors that cause teachers’ burnout? Address the problem comprehensively (include student issues, policies, workplace environment, etc.).
- What factors make American students show poor performance on international exams as compared to students from other countries? Provide a rationale for your opinion.
- Why do some educational institutions fail to prepare good specialists? You may include the political aspect in your paper.
- Physical education has a positive effect on elementary students. Analyze the processes that make older students less interested in PE.
- Longer school days negatively influence performance. You may also include psychological aspects.
😉 Optimistic Cause & Effect Topics
- Video games can boost IQ.
- Optimism improves immunity.
- Using social media improves communication skills.
- The promotion of bicycle use helps reduce traffic jams.
- Social media can help teens with their socialization process.
- Living together before getting married makes marital relationships stronger.
- A happy marriage influences the health of a person.
- Going to college affects the decision-making and marriage of a person.
👍Good Cause & Effect Topics
- What are the effects of the abortion ban?
- Wrong planning and organization while self-isolation results in harmful consequences for health.
- Concentrating on your meal contributes to better digestion of food.
- An inferiority complex makes people create fake identities on social media.
- A lack of education results in low tolerance. For example, towards minority groups.
- The boom of fast food causes a growth in obesity rates in the US.
- The fear of possible side effects makes people avoid vaccinations.
- Insufficient physical activity increases the risk of a heart attack.
🪁 Miscellaneous Cause & Effect Topics
- Cramming does not affect test scores.
- Illegal ways of music consumption (downloading) hurt the creativity of the artist.
- How can watching good movies impact the vision and mindsets of a person?
- What can be the significant impacts of insomnia on everyday life?
- Uncontrolled use of the Internet at a young age can result in mental health disorders in the future.
- Reading fiction helps develop empathy.
- A sense of humor improves personal relations.
- An unhealthy diet influences career opportunities.
🎓 Cause & Effect Essay Topics for College Students
- How does technological development influence the process of education?
- What are the positive and negative effects of studying abroad?
- How does cheating in school affect other spheres of life of a student?
- What are the results of regular cramming instead of exercising and understanding?
🧒 Fun and Easy Cause & Effect Topics for Kids
- Changes in the weather influence people’s mood.
- Having a pet makes its owners more friendly towards other pets.
- Frequent eating of junk food causes many health diseases among children.
- Cleaning your room makes you enjoy your space more than ever.
- Doing homework helps students be more appreciated by teachers.
🦄 Unique Cause & Effect Topics
- What caused the increase of conspiracy theories believers?
- Regular traveling makes you more open to different lifestyles.
- What would happen if the sun disappeared?
- What would happen if the moon disappeared?
- The level and sphere of education impact music taste.
- What are the critical effects of political activism on society? Other than the political issues, i.e., how it impacts people, relationships, certain groups, etc.
- Change in one’s socioeconomic status results in high tolerance towards different layers of society.
- What are the consequences of large migrant diasporas assimilating in the receiving countries?