Are you looking for sociology essay topics that will make you light up with enthusiasm? Do you yawn as soon as you hear some of those super boring sociology questions? Avoid falling asleep in the middle of your project! Choose a good topic from the list below.
- ❓ Captivating sociology essay questions
- 🔥 Hottest sociology research topics
- 💢 Stunning sociology essay topics
- 💭 Thought-provoking sociology essay topics
- ☀️ Everyday-Life Sociology Essay Topics
- 🏀 Hobbies, Interests, and Popular Culture
- 📝 How to write an essay on sociology
- ✍️ Writing your sociology essay
- 🧽 Polishing your sociology academic essay
❓ Captivating sociology essay questions
- South Park: Absurdist humor or reflection of American culture?
- One historical event that has influenced your life
- Socialization and assimilation when a person starts college
- One visit to a supermarket: The effects of consumer culture on your choices
- Gender stereotypes in a relationship: Is it okay for a boy to cry?
- Abortion: A heartless murder or a method of birth control?
- Who is to blame for today’s insane beauty standards?
- Top 3 misconceptions kids get from TV ads
- The pros and cons of mainstream schools
- Virtual reality: Escapism has never been easier.
- Affirmative action: More positive or negative effects?
🔥 Hottest sociology research topics
- Are women less privileged in today’s society than men?
- Can it ever be acceptable for a man to hit a woman?
- Are working women better mothers?
- Does wealth always make people less ethical?
- Are only men to blame for the objectification of women’s bodies?
- Does the TV show “16 and pregnant” promote teen pregnancy?
- Should people wait until the age of 21 to get married?
- Did feminism contribute to the moral decline of America?
- Should kids be able to change their names if they want to?
- Is intelligence more important than beauty for success in today’s society?
- Imagine your kid/brother/friend is gay/lesbian. Would you fight for his/her rights?
💢 Stunning sociology essay topics
Grab some social issues for research papers (you can also check out free examples here).
- The culture of poverty: Are the citizens of poor countries responsible for their own poverty?
- Can August Comte be viewed as the father of sociology?
- Is altruism still a traditional virtue in modern American culture?
- Is Spencer’s principle of survival of the fittest a good description for the college admission process?
- Is sincere love and care for children more important than the type of family (single parent or gay couple)?
- Does the phenomenon of intersexuality need more visibility?
- Is counterrevolution an obligatory response to any revolution?
- Is technological progress always bad for people’s health?
- How does social decline affect morality?
- Do we need a universal health care system?
- What is the role of mass media in shaping public opinion?
💭 Thought-provoking sociology essay topics
Simply commenting on any of the following quotes can be an excellent topic for a sociology paper:
- “Americans may have no identity, but they do have wonderful teeth.” – Jean Baudrillard
- “Neither the life of an individual nor the history of a society can be understood without understanding both.” –C. Wright Mills
- “Families are nothing more than idolatry of duty.” –Ann Oakley
- “If advertising is not an official or state art, it is nonetheless clearly art.” – Michael Schudson
- “Man’s nature, originally good and common to all, should develop unhampered.” – Georg Simmel
- “Our individual lives cannot, generally, be works of art unless the social order is also.” – Charles Horton Cooley
- “The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
- Hobbes’ concept “war of all against all” in public transport during rush hour
- “There is no truth without responsibility following in its wake.” – Franklin Frazier
- “White prejudice and discrimination keep the Negro low in standards of living, health, education, manners and morals. This, in its turn, gives support to white prejudice. White prejudice and Negro standards thus mutually ’cause’ each other.” – Gunnar Myrdal
- “It is not true that good can follow only from good and evil only from evil.” – Max Weber
☀️ Everyday-Life Sociology Essay Topics
- How we make friends: Friendship as a social institution. Think about the role friendship plays in social relations. Conduct sociological research to focus on revealing benefits and drawbacks friendship may provide.
- Gender, class, and status: Sociological factors in attraction. Describe the way social factors influence the choice of the object of romantic and sexual interest. For example, such areas of sociology as social organization, social change, or applied sociology may be helpful to extend your essay and discuss it on a larger scale.
- The burden of labor: Is work a necessity? Why do people have to work: is that duty, a socially acceptable behavior, or a natural predisposition? The subject of sociology tries to understand the nature of the social order and the place of a human in it. While the majority of people have to work to ensure their living, others claim that labor is a burden that makes a negative impact on a person, leaving no time for rest and creation.
- “Every person has a right to exercise her rights”: Is the feminine form better than “he or she”? One more option for your sociology essay is the discussion of a feminism perspective in terms of rights. Keep in mind that in a broad sense, feminism is defined as the desire for equality of women with men in all spheres of society. In the narrow sense, it is a feminist movement, the goal of which is to eliminate discrimination against women and their equality with men in rights.
- Love profusion: Why having one partner is more socially acceptable than having multiple ones? In this social research paper, review this article published by Psychology Today and link lingering psychological effects to the number of socially acceptable partners.
- Boundaries of subordination: Things you can and cannot say to your boss. For your sociology research paper, consider the situation from the point of your boss and also provide your view as an employee. Apply several sociological theories to support your arguments.
- Tabooing: What are the things you absolutely cannot talk about even with your closest friends? As noted by Freud, taboos arise where ambivalence of feelings is present since they have much in common with modern systems of moral and religious prohibitions. Their main goal is to protect our psyche from extremely negative experiences, shame, and guilt.
- Norms and deviations: Why doing “crazy things” (e.g., at parties) receive approval within small social groups of friends. As family and friends perceive us differently compared to the whole society, our pranks are also considered to be normal. To write a college research paper on the mentioned topic, provide some examples from your experience. Additional tips are here.
- Clothes and identity: How the things you wear reflect who you are. Writing a sociology essay, remember that sometimes, to become a completely different person, it’s enough to change clothes. If you are not ready to show your leopard leggings, then there are other ways to motivate yourself to do sports. For example, wear a baseball cap or a sports shirt with your favorite print.
- Men in skirts: Remaining gender boundaries in clothing. What are the things you would never wear although many people around you wear them? Focus on your beliefs and try to understand their causes to answer this question as part of your potential sociology research paper proposal.
- Is not taking a shower an acceptable and effective method of political protest? Individual protests, hunger strike, and the rejection of taking a shower – all this refers to sociological research studies that explain human behavior.
- Social awkwardness: Why some people are more easily embarrassed than others? Embarrassment makes people look away from others or lower their eyes, while babies tend to hide behind the dress or skirt of the mother and some of them stealthily look at the person who has embarrassed them.
- Trust and security: Would you leave your wallet on the table in a café when going to the restroom? There are several issues to write a research paper on. For example, consider morale and ethics while working on your sociology term paper.
🏀 Hobbies, Interests, and Popular Culture
- “Cool” and “uncool” hobbies: Why swimming or DJing more socially acceptable and approved than collecting postmarks or knitting? To receive sociology essay help with this topic, refer to Helpful Papers service.
- Dark comedy: What are the things that it is inappropriate to laugh? Among other attention-grabbing sociological themes, discover laughter as a protective mechanism when one laughs at his or her friend who accidentally fell. Interesting cultures to research and compare are American and Chinese.
- The line between compliments and harassment: What comments on the way your classmate or colleague looks are not reprehensible? Here, you can consider clothes, body, accessories, or any other specific features subjected to compliments and harassment.
- Pastime activities: What the society tells you should do during your leisure time? In this sociology research proposal, you should compare the expected pastime activities and your perception of what is the ideal leisure time.
- Why art house movies are unpopular: Personal and sociological perspectives. Arthouse movies target specific populations, focusing on social realism, the director’s vision, and feelings compared to pops Hollywood movies.
- Public display of affection: What you and your partner might and might not do in public? To succeed with your social research project, keep in mind that it depends on the social norms, cultural traditions, and ethics specific to a specific culture.
- What modern pop music tells young people they should do and be like? Review The Best Pop Songs of 2017 from Lana Del Rey to Lorde prepared by Esquire to understand the topic better.
- How memes appear and disappear: The role of memes in today’s popular culture. Among other social issues for a research paper, it seems relevant to explore how memes appear as a result of one or another event and what makes them vanish.
- The social capital and social media: What does the number of subscribers (followers, friends) mean to a person? The trend is that more and more people strive to increase their self-esteem using the social media.
- Fashion and status: How important is it to be fashionable for a young person? Conduct a sociological analysis paper based on the images proposed by fashion media and Instagram accounts of young people.
- Sociology of food: How is your diet related to your identity? This sociology issue has supreme importance in today’s world suffering from overweight and obesity.
- Celebrities as role models. If you have a sociology research paper assignment and can choose the topic by yourself, it is one of the best options to select several celebrities such as Miley Cyrus or Rihanna and discuss their role models.
- Do violent movies and video games decrease or increase the real-life violence rates? Many studies prove that violent films and games may cause aggressiveness to others, while gamers are sure that it is just a virtual reality they are involved in to have some fun.
So, with any of these wonderful sociology essay topics, exciting academic writing is guaranteed.
📝 How to write an essay on sociology
Sociology is a comparatively new subject for many students, so choosing sociology essay topics and writing sociology essays can be rather challenging. Keep in mind that sociology is an empirical science, and all sociological papers (including your essay) should be based on thorough research and rigorous documentation. Your task will be to interpret the facts you gather when doing research for your sociology essay or research paper. But also remember that there are so many interesting cultures to research and exciting issues to write a research paper on that the process will not be as burdening as it may sound!
Sociology differs from other social sciences because it relies on statistics, interpretive analysis, and the written word. College students who study sociology usually need to write several academic papers on different sociology topics each semester.
If you want to learn to write good essays on sociology, just take the following steps.
Preparing to write
- Choose a sociology essay topic. You may find sociology essay ideas in books, scientific articles, and online news. The key thing to keep in mind is that a good sociology essay starts with some important sociological question. Think carefully about the question you are going to answer — whether it is an advanced sociology topic or a “why study sociology” essay. Avoid these mistakes!
- Research the topic of your sociology essay. Visit the library and do some research online. Collect relevant evidence from recent studies. Remember that all sociological arguments must be supported by numerous facts and documentation, even if it is just a sociology research paper proposal.
- Read many sources for your academic essay.
- Take detailed notes and include the most important pieces of information about each source.
- Organize your materials and prepare your work area.
✍️ Writing your sociology essay
- Formulate a strong thesis. If you fail to write a good thesis statement, the rest of your college essay is likely to be vague. Your thesis must be debatable and tightly focused so that it can be clearly supported by the evidence you gather for your sociology academic paper.
- Make a detailed outline for the rest of your sociology essay paper. Make sure that each part of your sociology essay supports the thesis you have formulated. Indicate the topic for each paragraph or section. Include references to your sources.
- Write your essay introduction and conclusion. Your introductory paragraph should be concise and focused. To make it more interesting, use a specific example in your introduction.
- Write your body paragraphs. Use relevant data to support the main points in each one. Make sure you include clear transitions between the paragraphs in your academic essay.
- Cite the sources for your sociology paper using American Sociological Association system.
🧽 Polishing your sociology academic essay
Use these tips to polish your essay or sociology dissertation.
- Check your spelling and grammar, and correct mistakes if there are any.
- Edit the content of the draft. Make sure that your essay is clear and concise and that your writing flows smoothly.
- Ask a friend to edit your sociology essay.
- Review the guidelines and make sure your sociology paper is written according to the requirements given by the instructor.
Researching and writing an impressive essay on any topic is a process that takes time. Even the best writer in the world cannot write a high-quality academic paper the night before it’s due. You may need to spend a few days on the project. As a rule, the best sociology essays are rewritten, in part or in whole, several times. Very few first-draft college essays receive high grades.
You can use our sociology essay ideas as inspiration, or choose one of the sociology essay topics on the list to write your perfect sociology essay. If you like these ideas for sociology essays and research papers, be sure to share them with your friends!