Writing an argumentative essay is not the funniest thing to do. Even so, there are ways to ease this process and make it less strained. Dive into the article and choose the best argumentative essay topic for you.
⚠️BONUS: tips on the most efficient argumentative essay outlines ⚠️
🗂️ Argumentative Essay Outline. Effective Organization
we will show you three main methods to organize an argumentative essay. Classical type, Rogerian type, and Toulmin type. You can pick one or just get ideas on how to build up your argumentation.
|🟡Classical||Also known as Aristotelian, this method is the most popular and easy to use. First, you state your argument and then step-by-step tell why it is the right one.|| |
|🟢Rogerian||If your topic is controversial, the Rogerian method is the best strategy! Such essay organization inspects other perspectives thoroughly, as well as promotes your stance. It’s all about compromise…|| |
|🔵Toulmin||This essay structuring method provides the best opportunities to present your statement—no need to equally introduce the opposing side. Instead, you can concentrate on your arguments and make them unbeatable.|| |
These were the three most prominent methods to organize your argumentative essay effectively. Here you can familiarize yourself with them in detail and find examples. However, it is still possible to use other strategies for building argumentation.
⚔️ Funny Argumentative Essay Topics to Debate on
Let’s get to the argumentative essay topics that you can write about.
The best questions for argumentative essays have no obvious answers and always bring together some conflicting options.
Here are a few examples:
- Does smoking help people make acquaintances?
- Dating apps made romance disappear.
- The DNA or the upbringing defines us?
- Can democracy work in the Middle East?
- Is global warming overrated?
- Would the world be better without religion?
- Is organic food anyhow better, or is it just a marketing trick?
- Are conflicts necessary for healthy relationships?
- Should lecture attendance be optional?
- Should sex education be a compulsory subject at school?
- Should the rich be taxed more?
- Is the first impression of a person always right?
- Should students add their teachers as friends on Facebook?
- Should companies try to copy from their competitors?
- Can businesses learn from their customers’ complaints?
- Should all energy drinks be banned?
- Is China a new superpower?
- Is policing in the US racially-biased?
- Should terrorists be treated like criminals or like enemy combatants?
- Is the body or the mind primary?
- Will the redistribution of wealth eradicate poverty?
🍂 Easy and Fun Essay Topics
Forget that an argumentative essay topic requires discussing classic cheerless issues like abortion or euthanasia.
A good debate subject can also be a funny topic to write about.
- Should employees be allowed to use social media sites at work?
- Should companies send “happy birthday” messages to clients?
- Would Shakespeare’s plays be more interesting if shortened?
- Should internet slang like “LOL” and “IMHO” be included in dictionaries?
- Does the English language need to be more straightforward?
- Should kids be allowed to draw on walls?
- Do modern schools depend too much on technology?
- Are online classes valued less?
- Is the character of an individual prescribed or acquired?
- Should hospitals use placebo treatments?
- Do innovations really make us lazier?
🪂 Chill and Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
The easiest way to write an A+ persuasive essay is to choose a topic that genuinely interests you:
- Can college athletes be smart?
- Should students have profiles on all major social networks?
- Should people abandon cash and use plastic cards only?
- Should countries have “one-car-per-family” policies?
- Should we preserve old buildings as historical monuments?
- Are some TV ads objects of art?
- Is music in shopping malls harmful to employees’ well-being?
- Can listening to your favorite music heal?
- Should journalists who distort the truth to make the news more sensational be punished?
- Should all TV channels have censorship?
🔥 Hot Argumentative Essay Topics
If you’re still here, then you’re probably looking for something special, like these argumentative essay topics:
- Is using animals for experiments justified?
- Do SOPA and PIPA make pirates more skilled?
- Is negative PR the secret behind Justin Bieber’s success?
- Should Wikipedia give diplomas to its most faithful readers?
- Can diamonds be girls’ best friends?
- Is the way to a man’s heart through his stomach?
- Should couples live together before marriage?
- Should parents tell their kids about the birds and the bees?
- Can virtual reality be dangerous for kids?
- Can we call any war “a peacemaking operation”?
- Is too much political correctness making communication more confusing?
- Is it possible to get 100% clear and unbiased results of psychological research?
🤔 Thought-Provoking Argumentative Essay Topics
Consider choosing one of these interesting argumentative essay topics for college:
- Can any behavior be predicted? Dive into the ‘free will/determinism debate’ and discuss whether people have control over their decisions, or there are some special forces that regulate our choices.
- Does a tattoo on a face spoil the first impression about a person?
- Do voluntourism trips only benefit the travelers themselves and not the local communities?
- How many Facebook friends is it healthy to have?
- Should we get rid of all euphemisms and say things as they are?
- Is it ethical to blame your dog for eating your homework?
- What is the best use for duct tape other than taping things?
- Other than sheep, what should you count when you’re trying to fall asleep?
- What’s the real meaning of children’s fairy tales and nursery rhymes?
- Should you hunt your own Thanksgiving turkey instead of buying it from a store?
- Should people be able to patent their ideas?
- Should soccer moms establish their own soccer league?
- Should we have more jobs like being a panda hugger?
- Is Esperanto a failed language?
- Are millennials unhealthily addicted to social media?
- Is it possible to live your entire life without leaving a trace online?
🗣️ Funny Argumentative Speech Topics
Are you looking for good persuasive speech topics? Here are some creative speech ideas:
- Why do you deserve to teach the class instead of your professor?
- What are the best pick-up lines?
- Should soccer players be allowed to fight on the field?
- Should society have child-free restaurants?
- Is Coke better than Pepsi?
- Should the lottery be illegal?
- Should everyone climb Mount Everest at least once in their lives?
- Should the law prohibit taking selfies while driving?
- Are moist cookies better than dry cookies?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Should students be allowed to wear dreadlocks at school?
- Should you refuse to sign a prenuptial agreement?
- Should you create your own subculture?
- Should students be graded on their computer literacy?
- Should marijuana be legalized around the world?
- Should meat lovers be more mindful of vegetarians?
- Should everyone abandon cars and ride bikes instead?
- Should airlines have a two-seat policy for heavier people?
- Should you add your parents as friends on Facebook?
- Is the sharing economy essentially the same thing as communism?
🔃 Essay Topics on Argumentation
What about some quibble?
You may try to speak about argumentation itself since there is a lot of dispute about its nature, structure, and models. For instance:
- Should students choose research and essay themes? Some teachers believe that students feel more confident in their writing when they are free to select the subject.
- Can argumentative writing help in different life situations? There is an opinion that this type of task is non-applicable in practice.
- Do good arguments help resolve conflicts, or do they evoke the desire to contradict? Some people are involved in discussions purely for the sake of arguing.
- Would famous persuasive speeches produce the same impact on the audience of today? Some scholars believe that they would not impress the modern audience.
- Can college essay starters achieve academic excellence in writing through self-learning? You can dwell on the necessity (or lack of it) to guide essay-writing.
- Is an argumentative essay for college students an easier task than for school students? Although the former is more experienced, the latter is believed to have a better imagination.
- Can it be stated that specific argumentative issues lack real problems to be discussed? There are plenty of topics that artificially create a problem where there is none.
- Can a good discursive essay be composed without proper argumentation? Some argue that it is possible to do without it.
- Does an argumentative paper format produce any impact on its message and value? There are those who believe that the content of an essay is directly affected by its form.
- Can argumentative essay exercises in school contribute to writing skills demonstrated in college and university? It is often the case when students have to re-educate since their skills are useless.
- Can essay subjects be too ordinary to develop good argumentation, or does it depend on the writer’s ability? Prove that a good writer can or cannot deepen any topic.
- Are some controversial essays missing controversy? Some questions fail to present mutually exclusive positions.
- Do argumentative essays with sources have higher persuasive power than those based on the author’s opinion only? Some professors think that students should not cite other people’s thoughts but rely on their own.
- Do argumentative essay notes help students organize their writing, or do they only distract attention? There are different approaches to essay preparation that you can agree or disagree with.
- Do short argumentative essays lack depth? Some believe that the length of the assignment affects its content.
- Is an accepted college essay format assistance or limitation? Although it may limit creativity, it may as well assist students in structuring their ideas.
- Should students prepare debate arguments in advance or develop them in the course of debates? You may stand with proper preparation or total improvisation.
- Does a formal argumentative essay lack personalization? There is an opinion that formality deprives an essay from a personal perspective.
- Is writing a persuasive essay a skill or a talent? While some believe that it can be trained, others argue that it is a talent (like eloquence).
- Should an argumentative style of writing be formalized? Here, you can provide your view concerning the necessity of universal stylistic clichés.
- Do good persuasive speeches require personal charisma, or is strong argumentation sufficient? Discuss the impact of the human factor.
- Can an argumentative paper fail because of its neutral tone? Should a writer be detached or involved – it is up to you to decide.
- Is there a difference between an argumentative and persuasive essay, or are they the same? You can argue that this difference is only in terminology.
- Can persuasive issues get outdated? Some believe that there are temporary and timeless topics.
- Is there a universal argumentative essay model, or it depends entirely on the author? You may defend any of these two opinions.
🙈 Funny Persuasive Essay Topics
- Are early marriages more likely to end in divorce?
- Do older people receive better care in retirement homes than with family members?
- Should hyperactive kids receive treatment?
- Should mind reading during poker games be banned?
- Should parents pass tests before homeschooling their kids?
- Should parents lie to their kids about Santa Claus?
- Does Beavis and Butthead have a negative impact on youth?
- Is it fair to use the results of standardized tests to define schools’ budgets?
- Is the only way to explain human behavior to break it down into small parts?
- Are optimism and success infectious?
- Is the Bermuda triangle a creation of our imagination?
📏 Discipline-Specific Argumentative Essay Topics
If your task was to write an argumentative essay on a particular subject, try to find something in the lists below.
🌐 Argumentative Essay Topics on Social Media and Internet
- Modern technologies make people lonelier and more depressive. Your persuasive essay may argue that although the Internet connects people, there are still concerns that it may make them more reserved.
- The use of filthy language on the internet negatively affects the quality of vocabulary in daily life. While some people think that our speech can be different in different contexts, others are convinced that it may be negatively affected by internet communication.
- Modern teenagers lack survival skills due to their reliance on technologies. Your discursive essay should stress the idea that they are helpless when it comes to real dangers.
- Live communication will soon minimize due to smartphones. It may become unnecessary to establish personal contacts in the nearest future, which is a worrisome issue.
- The educational system gains more than it loses with the development of technologies. You may build your argumentation around the idea that children still benefit from technologies in education despite some complaints.
- Facebook and other social networks pose a threat to your privacy. Plenty of confidential information is at risk if you keep it on Facebook. The debate should concern policy issues.
- The internet violates intellectual property rights. The access to such property should be limited. Build your paper on evidence from legislation.
- The rate of mass murders in educational institutions increases due to the popularity of computer games. While some consider them harmless, others think that they make kids aggressive.
- Gadgets restrict children’s imagination. Some psychologists claim that devices kill their creativity.
- The rapid technological development will lead to a global crisis. Technologies require a lot of resources that may become exhausted.
- The dependence of the world on the internet is excessive. People barely imagine their routine without it, which is already an addiction. You may choose an original essay format.
- Internet users need online censorship. It could limit kids’ access to particular resources.
- Some sites must be banned. For example, sites that promote aggressive or inadequate behaviors, violence, etc.
- Kids should be denied access to the internet. They can be unprepared to face its dangers.
- The virtual relationship cannot exist for a long time. People who lack real contact cannot develop a trusting bond.
👩🎨 Argumentative Essay Topics on Culture
- Does conceptualism make art lose its value? Many critics believe that art has become a form of business. Argumentation papers on this topic must rely on philosophical works.
- Do lyrics in today’s songs make any sense? Musicians and poets often claim that there is none. You can disagree on popular discursive articles on the topic if you feel like it.
- Does modern art require talent, or can one rely on ambition only? Think about the evidence that perseverant artists achieve success even if their skills are far from outstanding.
- Is poetry relevant anymore? In modern days, is poetry still highly valued, or is it the forgotten art form?
- Is there a superior kind of art, or do they all have equal value? You may write a persuasive paper in favor of one or two.
- Does mainstream culture make people dull and limited? You can argue whether it is possible to develop and still adhere to the mainstream.
- Does free access to unlimited information on the Internet mean being more knowledgeable and well informed?
- Should one be wealthy to be able to build a career in art? It is often the case that only rich people can stay afloat.
- Is the art of professional criticism lost for good? Criticism has gone with the whole epoch.
- Is American cinematography now much worse than European, or is it prejudice? This comparison often evokes disputes.
🤝 Argumentative Essay Topics on Social Issues
- Freedom of speech is more important than the prevention of extremism. Think of cases where freedom of expression was on the edge of being a hate opinion/speech.
- Small talks are a very effective way to maintain lots of social connections. Discuss whether superficial interaction is more beneficial than close communication. You can use Mark Granovetter’s theory for support.
- Migrants should be treated and perceived the same way as any other member of a receiving society.
- Educational institutions should consider the individual characteristics of their students for a more efficient studying process.
- Compliance with COVID-19 measures is a personal choice of each individual.
- Is it socially acceptable to remark a stranger who is being very ill-mannered?
- Gender-specific etiquette is a relic of society, or should it still be followed?
- Social inequality is a result of the market economy, and with the planned economy, there would not be such an issue.
- If each millionaire in the world donated $1 per day to people in need, there would not be poverty.
- US gun control policies should be stricter.
🦹 Argumentative Essay Topics on Gender In/Equality
- Gender discrimination doesn’t exist anymore. Debate on whether or not people nowadays are mistreated due to their gender. It is possible to choose a particular context (country) and/or a specific category, e.g. wages gap, corporate discrimination, household responsibilities.
- Male discrimination is not less relevant and important than female. Debate on how male individuals are mistreated in everyday life or on a more global level. Try to find proofs in as many spheres as possible.
- Gender studies should be taught at school. Discuss the importance of gender studies from an early age and the ways educational institutions could improve this policy.
- Gender oppression resulted in almost no female explorers, politicians, and other outstanding figures in different fields.
- The level of gender equality positively correlates with the GDP of a state.
- Straight white men are to blame for female oppression.
- A women-dominated society would be much more sufficient or won’t make any difference.
- Female persons are at a greater danger of sexual exploitation.
- Highly religious communities could never achieve gender equality.
- Positive gender discrimination is as wrong as the negative one.
💸 Argumentative Essay Topics on Business
- Testing products on animals is unacceptable in the modern world. Discuss how it affects the image of a company, review the advantages and disadvantages. Very productive would be to provide particular examples.
- Economic and political conditions determine the well-being of a business. Try to take the opposing side and claim that a company can survive even if the global economy collapses. You can use an example of how some businesses survived during the Covid-19 crisis.
- Focus on the market doesn’t result in much prosperity. With the growing amount of deals offered, consumers became more picky and attentive to what they pay for. Discuss why companies should be product-oriented instead of market-oriented.
- Studying business will not make you a successful businessman. Is it true that talent and luck are determinants of success while doing a business? Discuss this clash of professional education and talent, strengthen with examples.
- Monetary benefits for employers are more effective than moral encouragement.
- Corporate training is crucial for employees.
- A company has no chance to succeed without a proper marketing strategy.
- With the continually growing competitiveness, it is harder to enter the market than it used to be in earlier days.
- Local businesses need more support than big ones during the unstable economic period.
📖 Argumentative Essay Topics on History
- There can be positive effects of war. Agree or disagree with this statement. As an example, you can choose any conflict and base your arguments on its outcomes.
- History has no subjunctive mood. Debate on whether historical events could happen the other way or not.
- Should denying the Holocaust be criminalized?
- Should there be an opportunity to sue countries’ governments for historical crimes?
- There is no possibility of fair solutions for land conflicts.
- History is cyclic. Or not?
- Russia and the US getting involved in the Middle East conflict made the situation worse.
- The worst wars in history were started by particular persons or resulted from a specific course of events.
- Karl Marx might have had the biggest ever impact on society.
🕹️ Argumentative Essay Topics on Technologies
- Artificial intelligence can be dangerous for human civilization.
- Developed countries should invest more in space exploration than in environmental or social problems.
- Will driverless cars cause more problems, or is it a better choice?
- Automation of manufacturing not only jeopardizes related jobs but also organically creates new working places.
- Has Silicon Valley failed to solve the world’s technological revolution problems?
- Will the rise of the machines undermine democracy?
- Can cryptocurrency actually replace banks?
- Videogaming can result in making people smarter.
- It is impossible not to leave a digital trace nowadays.
- Individuals should have a right to erase all the personal information about them online.
- Cyberwars are overrated.
- Smart gadgets make people lose their decision making and practical thinking skills.
🤝 Argumentative Essay Topics on Politics
- Political presence in non-political events (Olympic Games, Eurovision Song Contest, the Oscars, etc.) should be eliminated.
- National security VS people’s privacy. What should be dominant?
- Should all the countries that have nuclear weapons destroy them?
- There has to be a universal basic income on a state level for everyone, or is it a personal issue?
- Do illegal migrants have to be deported instead of being provided help?
- The places in the parliament (or any other highest governing institution) should have equal gender division.
- When it is about international relations, should patriotism be a part of decision-making?
- It would be more efficient if there were one government for all countries globally, with the same laws and regulations.
- Voting has to be compulsory for everyone.
- Robots should substitute presidents.
🤓 Argumentative Essay Topics on Education
- Should both the author and a person who copied be accused, or only the one who copied the task?
- Should students hand over their gadgets before the class?
- Does it improve the studying process if a teacher spends time with students outside of the classroom?
- Should a student be allowed to express their creativity if it deviates from the studying process?
- Whether there is bullying at school depends on how good is the education given in a school.
- A child’s success in school is influenced by their classmates more than by parents.
- Boys and girls should attend different schools.
- Students should be allowed to choose courses they want to study, rather than be obliged to do so.
Having selected a good topic to argue about, you now need to create an argumentative essay outline. Read and analyze some persuasive essay examples to learn more about the structure and vocabulary used in this type of essay.
If you liked our good and easy argumentative essay topics, then take a look at our other helpful essay topic articles.
For more amazing essay ideas, check out:
- Best Psychology Persuasive Speech Topics & Essay Ideas for 2020
- Top 100 Research Topics for ABM Strand Students [Upd. 2020]
Happy writing, dear friends! See you again!