The main goal of informative essays is to give comprehensive information on a certain question. This type of essay represents objects as they are, without judging, evaluating, or giving any subjective opinions. An informative essay example will show what this essay should look like.
💎 Core principles of informative writingGet your 100% original paper
on any topic with 15% OFF Learn more
The following principles will help you write a good essay:
- Try to be objective.
- Show the object from different perspectives.
- Cite trusted resources.
- Give examples.
📑 Sample of an informative essay
Most topics for informative essays focus on certain events or personalities, explain concepts, or give instructions on how to do something. The following informative essay sample is no exception.
“Benefits of Electric Cars”
An electric car is a vehicle that uses electrical energy stored in rechargeable batteries or other storage devices. Currently, electric cars are not as widely used as their alternatives with internal combustion engines. Electric cars can help reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas production.
The history of the first electric cars goes back to the 1800s. This type of motor was popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s before a cheaper internal combustion engine was improved and popularized. The following periods of popularity included the energy crises of the 1970s and 1980s. However, the interest in electric cars was rather short. The mass production and marketing of electric cars is still to come.
The sales of electric cars have grown recently. However, this type of automobile still represents only a small fraction of all new car sales. Automakers are not enthusiastic about the production of electric cars because of low demand.
Some studies claim that sales of electric cars can be increased by means of more effective advertising. Further research of the potential benefits of electric cars can contribute to the following popularization of this healthier type of automobile.
The mass production and improved sales of electric cars can reduce air pollution and the amount of greenhouse gas. Further research of the potential advantages and more aggressive advertising of electric cars can increase their sales which are currently at a rather low level.
Interesting, informative essay samples can help you in the process of writing perfect informative papers. Essay samples can be a great source of inspiration and useful information.
Use this informative essay example when writing your own informative essay.
Before you can write your informative essay, you need a really great topic, right? If you are looking for an interesting topic for your impressive informative essay, you are in the right place.
📚 Informative essay topics3 hours! The minimum time our certified writers need
a 100% original paper Learn more
The purpose of an informative essay is to educate readers by giving straightforward information and facts on a certain topic. You should provide interesting, useful, and unique information to your readers. Keep in mind that you should not give your opinion on the topic of your informative essay.
Informative writing explains something or answers questions like the following:
- What does it mean?
- How does it work?
- Why does it happen?
- Why is it important?
The best examples of informative writing are essays, academic course descriptions, or how-to articles. They usually explain how something works—for example, how to write a resume, the health benefits of yoga, or the most popular study abroad destinations.
When you write an informative essay, you’re sharing your knowledge about the subject of your essay with your audience. That’s why you should choose an informative essay topic that is interesting to you and new and unknown to your reader. You should be able to support the topic of your informative essay with credible evidence.
Here is a list of great informative essay topics.
- Global trends in education
- Positive and negative effects of globalization
- Benefits of healthy eating
- Benefits of mobile payments
- Benefits of green tea
- Exotic pets
- Large Hadron Collider
- How evolution works
- History of writing
- Manned mission to Mars
- Health risks of being overweight or obese
- Advantages of being bilingual
- Near-death experiences
- Seven wonders of the world
- How to keep fit
- How to make a cartoon
- How the internet changes the way you think
- The ugliest animals in the world
- The strangest places on Earth
- Medical myths
🧱 Structure of an informative essayWe will write a custom essay
specifically for you
writers online Learn more
Once you’ve picked an interesting topic, you can start to write your informative essay. Follow this general structure to make sure you’ve covered everything.
- Opening sentence
Start your informative essay with something that grabs the reader’s attention: a general statement about the essay’s topic, a quotation, a question, a joke, a definition, a fascinating fact, or an analogy.
Provide background information to give your audience an understanding of your topic.
- Thesis statement
Clearly explain your position on the essay’s topic, which you will support with relevant evidence in your body paragraphs.
- Topic sentence
In a single sentence, give the paragraph’s main point or idea.
- Supporting evidence
Provide appropriate evidence from reputable sources—such as quotes, summaries, paraphrases, or interviews—to support your thesis statement.
Explain the importance of the given evidence to your reader. How does the evidence support your thesis?
Connect each paragraph of your essay with a sentence or two that shows how each idea in your paper leads to the next and how they together support your position.
Give your readers an overview of the main ideas of your informative paper, highlight the development of your thought process, and offer solutions. Don’t just restate the thesis statement—instead, explain the importance of your synthesis of the information.
💡 Essay writing tips
Here are some simple tips to help you write a polished, high-quality informative essay:
- Clearly understand your written assignment. Analyze your essay topic word by word to understand the requirements for your informative essay.
- Learn by example. If your essay writing skills are far from perfect and you don’t know how to approach the subject matter of your essay, look for informative essay examples online. Read informative essay samples to learn how to organize and present information in an essay, paper, or article. When reading these examples, take notes on how the author introduces the topic of the essay, develops the ideas, and formulates a strong conclusion.
- Don’t plagiarize. If you use someone else’s words or ideas, always cite them as a source.
- Write a quick draft of your informative essay all the way through. During this stage, just focus on getting your ideas down on paper. Write in your own words, as if you were talking to a friend about the topic of your paper.
- Work through several drafts. Consider whether you need to rearrange your essay’s structure for a stronger organization or flow of ideas. Rewrite and refine your words as many times as needed to make your end result flawless.
- Write clearly and concisely. Focus on using active sentences with active words in your essay to make every word count. Print your essay or paper and cross out any redundant words. This approach will increase the clarity of your writing, but it may reduce the word count in your essay—so be sure to leave enough time to add content to your essay if necessary.
- Edit and proofread your essay. Make sure there are no spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes. You can also ask a friend to edit your essay. You might not agree with your friend’s critique, but you will get a better understanding of your reader’s point of view.