Sometimes, even the most productive of us drop the ball of deadlines. Different circumstances might prevent us from handing in assignments on time. Don’t blame yourself if you realize that the time is slipping away and your project isn’t ready. There’s nothing wrong with asking to extend a deadline.
Today our team explains how to ask for an extension on a paper and get approval. Find out the best tips for a last-minute extension, a universal email sample, and advice on how not to annoy your professor.
🔑 How to Ask for an Extension on an Assignment – 3 WaysWe’ll deliver a custom paper tailored to your requirements.
We'll even cut 15% OFF
your first order! Use discount
The circumstances vary from case to case. No doubt, the easiest and most approved way to ask for a paper extension is to communicate via email. However, it is also possible in person, via social media, or a phone call. Here we highlight the pros and cons of each method.
|The most professional way.||It can get lost among other emails.|
|In person||Easy way to come to terms and discuss everything at once.||It can be overwhelming and stressful.|
|Social Media/Phone call||A more relaxed way.||Pretty personal.|
📩 How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension by Email
Let’s start with a classical communication method with your professor – an email letter.
- Begin your extension request by telling who you are and describing the point of your letter.
- Do not send your paper extension letter the night before the deadline. It is disrespectful and irresponsible.
- Instead of begging, explain why you couldn’t complete the task on time.
- Explain why you need this extension.
- Structure your message and divide the text into passages.
- Make sure your syntax and grammar are alright.
- Put your full name at the end of the email.
- Thank your teacher for reading the letter and considering your issue.
📱 How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension Using Social Media/ Phone CallOur Experts can deliver
a custom essay
for a mere
This way seems the most pleasant, yet it can be problematic, too. You should be on a particular relationship level to text your professor on Facebook or make an unexpected call.
- Make sure your attempt won’t be considered an invasion of privacy.
- Before making a call, schedule it by sending a text message beforehand.
- If everything is okay with the previous step, make a brief phone call or text message plan.
- Include only the most essential questions. Respect the professor’s time.
💬 How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension in PersonOn-Time Delivery! Receive your plagiarism-free paper done
in only 3 hours Learn more
Probably, it is the most stressful way to ask for an extension on a paper. However, it is an excellent opportunity to appeal to the basic human understanding of your teacher.
- Choose the time for your extension request. Don’t interrupt your professor in the middle of lunch.
- Do not show an extreme level of anxiety.
- Stay calm and reasonable; point out why you need some extra time.
- Prepare proof that you couldn’t fulfill the assignment by the due date. For example, it can be a sick note from a doctor.
❗ Common Tips for Asking an Extension on a Paper
|Get in touch with your teacher as early as possible.||That will help in making the right impression. You don’t want your teacher to consider you a lazy and unambitious student.|
|Show your interest in the subject.||It is vital to let your professor know that you care not only about your grades. Try to prove that this project or subject, in general, is your passion.|
|Be brief and precise.||Your teacher will have to dedicate extra time to assess your assignment after the deadline. Thus, respect their time.|
|Be polite.||It is a simple yet, underrated way to set up the right tone. That will increase your chances!|
|Prove that you have started working.||It can be a rough draft or notes, but your professor won’t think you procrastinate!|
|You can ask for advice on further work.||Most likely, your uni professor will feel appreciated and respected.|
|Don’t look indifferent.||Show that you are aware of penalties and worry about them.|
|Explain the reasons why you need this paper extension.||Show the professor your genuine desire to work on the assignment. And how it can change your perception of the subject.|
✉️ Paper Extension Email Sample
Here is our paper extension email sample. You are welcome to use it as an inspiration source and embrace the structure.
Dear Professor Riddley,
I am writing to ask for a favor. I will try to be brief and not take much of your time.
I am working on the essay about the ancient comedy that you gave to our group two weeks ago. To be honest, I am afraid that I cannot complete it by Friday.
The reason for me being late is that I have been in hospital for almost ten days. And I returned home just yesterday, so I immediately proceeded with working on the essay.
Attached, you can find my hospital note and a draft of my current essay.
I would be grateful if you allowed me to finish my work and hand it in later. I would ask you about two extra days, which will be sufficient for me.
I also would like to highlight that I am a keen student, especially in ancient literature and history. However, my sickness prevented me from fulfilling the assignment on time, which I feel sorry for.
It is my primary goal to provide you with my best work. I will be looking forward to your answer. Thank you for reading this letter.